DAY 155...Deas Cove Third Day

Tuesday 29th March

These days I normally go to bed clutching my pounamu carving and saying a thank you to whoever cares to listen.  Last night I was thankful that the rolling on the Tairua Bar had not been fatal as the guys on board I know well (no names here).  A rogue wave had turned their boat over!  They were fine but it had made me stop and think of the 'What If' and "Who and Why' in the dark of last night.  Later on I at last curled up and lay and listened to the thunder, lightening, the wind in the trees, the intense rain fall on the roof of the hut, the moreporks and the weka's calls.  Very special times ad I drifted in and out of my sleep.

During the early hours of this morning I sat in my sleeping bag and stared out through the windows at the night time view, the clouds and the bush.  It was nice to just sit, think, dream and be at peace away from stress.  I like to be solo.  Back to bed I go until the weather report arrived, then I waited for sunrise and low tide before I climbed out of my cocoon and headed down the path to the cove to gather some mussels at this mornings low tide.  With dinner sorted and stored away form the weka I check my plans so they are imprinted in my mind.  There is a positive weather window tomorrow and as I paddle I will mentally check off each bay, sound and rock point I need to pass.

Hot coffee drunk (thanks Myra B team), messages sent, a bit of banter back and forth, I watched as the rain continues to fall heavily from the sky, hoping tomorrow the sky and my paddle will be dry, well at least at the start.  It is easier on my brain that way, but I do have the ultimate saying if wet, "Are you made of sugar?",  that normally makes me smile.  Once all of this is done it is time to do a bit of lunch cooking, making extra so I have a pre-made sweet hit for tomorrows breakfast and also extra for along the way, no excuses when you have time.  I prep and plan.  Sweet fritter cakes made, eaten and stashed. Fab feeling.

The rain has stopped for the moment and there is a couple of boats moored back in the cove.  Deas cove has woken from the rain.  My afternoon was spent packing the back hold of T2, meeting then chatting with the Crowe family who live on the launch Honey and joining them later for dessert.  I also met the guys on the James McKerrow who had me over for dinner.  Amazing, gorgeous, genuine people, still the most unexpected part of my journey.  It ended up being a late night and I crawled into bed dressed in my kayak gear, ready for the early morning start.  I find it easier and warmer this way to be pre dressed and half ready to go.

My smiles today:
Venison, fresh tuna sashimi and seafood chowder.
Sago coconut pudding.
Incredible people daily.
The team on James McKerrow.
The Crowe family on Honey.

My thoughts today:
Becoming so happy.
Believing and feeling alive.
Daring to live my dream, it feels empowering.

Goodnight from Red, T2, the friendly wekas and moreporks.

The Crowe family from  Honey .  Samuel, Ella, Tim and Jude.

The Crowe family from Honey.  Samuel, Ella, Tim and Jude.